Over the past few months I’ve been working on shorts, some my own and some written and directed by friends JoÃ£o Lameira and Mafalda Melo. The work we’ve been doing has been instructive. We’ve made some mistakes and we’ve learned a lot. The shorts we’ve been working on have all been between 3 and 10 pages long. This month we are in some of the final pre-production stages for shooting a 30 minute short. It will be directed by me with Mafalda acting as Director of Photography, JoÃ£o Lameira as the Assistant Director, and fellow former New York Film Academy classmate Barbara Maia as Producer.
This new project is a horror short inspired by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein entitled “Modern Prometheus.”Â The short is about Beth, a young professional living in Brooklyn with her boyfriend, Henry, a former writer turned IT professional. The relationship between Beth and Henry deteriorates as he becomes more and more obsessed with the story he has begun writing. As Henry’s obsession gets worse, Beth is plagued with nightmares that seem to be breaking into her waking life. Beth tries desperately to save Henry from his obsession and herself from the nightmares plaguing her.
We are looking to raise $2,000 for this short. There are costs related to props, transportation, and equipment that we need to cover but what we really want to raise the money for is paying the cast and crew. Honestly, $2,000 means they won’t be paid much but it means they will be paid. We’d like to be able to hand each person who joins in on this project a check, because, frankly, a “Thank you” and a screen credit don’t even buy a sandwich much less pay the rent.
We want you to help us make this happen. We’d like you to make a donation to this film so that these fine, talented people don’t have to work for free. What do you get in return for your generous donation to our project? No matter what you get on-screen credit (if you don’t want to be named you will simply be listed as “Anonymous”) but a higher donation gets you more. The levels are:
LEVEL 1 $0-$50
- Your name goes under “A Very Special Thanks to:” list in the closing credits of the film.
LEVEL 2 $50-$100
- You get an “Assistant Producer” credit in the closing credits of the film.
- You get a free digital download copy of the finished film.
LEVEL 3 $100-$250
- You get an “Associate Producer” credit in the closing credits of the film.
- You get a free DVD copy and a free digital download copy of the finished film.
LEVEL 4 $250 or more
- You get a “Executive Producer” credit in the closing credits of the film.
- You get the free DVD, the digital download, and a signed and bound copy of the script to compare to the final product.
To donate to the film now, just click the PayPal button below. Thank you so much for your willingness to support at whatever level you can.
Leave a Reply